Mom-ism #10: A popular momism debunked!

Monday, July 7, 2014



Did your mom ever talk to you about the birds, the bees and sumpin' about a cow? If so, you've probably heard

"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk free?" 

The old adage seems lost when trying to discourage sex today.  I understand the phrase to mean guys won't marry girls who enjoys promiscuity. This saying was probably powerful back in the day. I'm convinced guys prefer gals who are choosy and a bit selfish with private things. Double standards? Sure is but that's another mom-ism for next Monday.

Let's get this straight before I debunk this very popular mom-ism. I do not condone premarital sex. I simply want to defend our friendly cow population by nailing down some facts. When you look closely at this phrase, it really doesn't make sense. 

According to the Midwest Dairy Association, females, prior to giving birth, are called calves or heifers. After they give birth, female dairy animals are called cows. Additionally, a female dairy animal or cow can only produce milk after they've given birth. About 10 months after giving birth, the amount of milk the cow gives naturally decreases substantially and the cow undergoes a "drying off." About 12 to 14 months after the birth of her previous calf, a cow will calve again, thus providing milk.

So this phrase would only make sense if said to a gal who:
  • has given birth; and
  • is said to a gal within the first 10 months after she gives birth.
Ladies, the next time you hear this phrase, ignore it and ignore the person who said it (unless
you are breastfeeding your newborn). People need to learn their cow and milk facts!

Leave me a comment and let me know your thoughts. I think my self worth just went up knowing I shouldn't have been compared to a cow until sometime around July 1988.

b. t. dubya, Happy Birthday Sydnee!

Got milk?
Tammy
The Happy Handicap

Comments