The Very Best Use of Sunscreen

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

newsletter
bag
July is all about fun and sun! Folks, including me, enjoy going to the beach.  A well-stocked beach bag is a must. Does your beach bag look like this one? Mine is certainly not this organized.  I just throw it all in and rummage around for things.

As I sat on the beautiful beach of Sanibel this week, I began to think about how exciting it feels to go to the beach.  Don't you just love the water, the waves, the sun, the sand, the sunset and everything that screams "We're at the beach!"

I did a quick mental inventory of the things in my beach bag. Why did I bring these things? We need sunscreen to protect our skin from the sun. I want a noodle or float to keep me on top of the water and waves. We need flip flops to shield my feet from the hot sand. We need sunglasses to protect my eyes from the glare of the sunset. Do we really fully experience the beach?

A comparison to church entered my mind. Are we so programmed to protect ourselves from the elements that we do the same thing with God? Do we put on "son"screen to keep his spirit from sinking in too deep? Do we wear "son"glasses to dim the glory of his light? Do we use a floatation device to keep our heads above the fountains of his grace? The Bible says in Chronicles 12:14 "And he did evil, because he prepared not his heart to seek the Lord."

It's a good idea to prepare for the beach. Sunscreen protects against skin burn. It's an even better idea to prepare your heart with Jesus.  "Son"screen protects against soul burn.

Protected,
Tammy
The Happy Handicap

Comments