A Behind-the-Scenes Look at Communion

Wednesday, February 27, 2013


A gentle wind blows as I walk the steps into the sanctuary.  Ushers hand out the week's program in a 
welcome exchange. I never read the news before I settle into my seat on Row #6.  I breathe in the beautiful 
setting admiring the creamy walls, stained glass and towering wooden arches. My heart leaps as I sit down on the comfortable pew. The communion table is set. I love the sacred ceremony of communion; the reverence, the symbolism, the quietness. I feel a freshness in the air like purity after a rain. I pray to receive God's goodness. Unspeakable power flows down the aisles and through the pews as the Holy Spirit says grace over the meal we receive.  I cherish the unity of the church as we hold our bread until everyone is served and then eat together. The drink is taken in like manner. It truly feels like we are eating dinner with the Almighty. I look around as if to see a glimpse of God in the quiet stillness.  The quietness is best described as perfect peace, an enveloping calm losing yourself in his love. I see the corners of God's mouth turn upward as a smile floods his face to see his people worship him through his son. Christ said every time we eat the bread and drink the cup, we do it in remembrance of him. Exiting the church after the service, I see a milk truck.  I think of God and whisper knowingly "Yes, he does a body good!"

Satisfied and full,
Tammy
The Happy Handicap

Leave me a comment and let me know what you enjoy about communion.

Comments