How to Get Some Respect

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

rodney-dangerfield
"I get no respect!" This phrase was made popular by comedian Rodney Dangerfield. I still say it sometimes when I feel my family is on my case, do you? We all probably feel disrespected at times. The word respect means  "differential regard or esteem".  People groups have their own "respect" rules. For example,if you're in the medical field, you lean toward people in medicine. You relate to them better because you have something in common and respect their knowledge.  It's that way with all groups. One religious "joke" about people groups is Baptist think they're the only ones going to heaven because they solely interpret the Bible correctly. Not true! Politicians hobnob with politicians and educators admire other educators. If you're not a "member" of a people group by association, education or genetics, it's hard to get in!

The Bible tells us in Acts 10:34-35 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, "Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons: But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him." Peter spoke this after Cornelius had bowed down to worship him. People held Cornelius in high regard. The Bible calls him a centurion that feared God and was of a good report among all the nations of the Jews. After Cornelius stood up, Peter went on to admit "Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean." God accepts everyone!

So you see, people groups have been having conflicts for as long as history has been recorded. Wars have been fought over nothing more than one group not liking another group. I see this all the time in our society, especially with Americans and Hispanics. The story of Peter and Cornelius ends like this. Peter preached Jesus to the group and all that believed were saved and baptized. Wouldn't it be awesome instead of giving ourselves respect and high regard that we direct our praise to the person who deserves it...JESUS? Then, we could follow Peter's example, spread the gospel and see people accepted.

Leave me a comment and tell me how you handle it when you're disrespected. I need some pointers!

Love you all,
Tammy
The Happy Handicap

Comments