Chicken Pot Pie Surprises

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The truth about me and chicken pot pie. I am 49 years old and until yesterday, my deprived taste buds never enjoyed the delicious, savory taste of chicken pot pie. I try to make new dishes on a regular basis. The same boring dishes make for some awkward mealtimes even with family and friends. But, honestly
chicken pot pie lacks a certain appeal for me.

My husband shared his love for the dish while watching an episode of Paula Deen. My creative wheels started turning and the result equaled a lovely chicken pot pie. My husband's words "Wow! You nailed it first try!" Some dishes I prepare I immediately erase from my memory and wish I owned a "Men in Black" neuralyzer to erase the memory of those who tried it. Read this hilarious example! But, this chicken pot pie earned a spot in my memory and a permanent home in my recipe cards. The share-worthiness of this recipe spoke in the joyful sounds we made while eating it! Have you ever wondered why we express delight or distaste when eating? lol Try not to make sounds the next time you eat something incredibly good or unpleasantly disgusting!

I adapted the recipe from a Paula Deen original. Her recipe boasts (484) 5-star reviews. I prepared it healthier by cutting calories and fat plus a bit easier with ingredients from my favorite supermarket. I reduced the serving size to four to minimize leftovers.

1 heaping cup of Ingles Markets Rotisserie Chicken Traditional Flavor chopped
1 cup frozen Cascadian Farms Premium Organic Mixed Vegetables
1 (10 3/4 oz) Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup
1 cup chicken broth (I use broth granules + water to save a few dimes)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Gluten-free Bisquick Mix as prepared on box for biscuits. Half the recipe for this dish.

1/3 cup fat free milk
3 tbsp. melted butter unsalted

Layer chicken and vegetables in a 1.5 qt. casserole dish. Mix soup, broth and season to taste. Pour over layers. Combine biscuit mix and extra milk. Pour evenly over the casserole. Drizzle butter over the biscuit mixture. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until top is golden brown.
And...pretty on a plate!

Just like Campbell's ...Mmm, Mmm Good!


I served it with a pseudo-Waldorf Salad with apples, Craisins, celery, candied pecans and pecans. I tossed the salad with a hint of mayonnaise and a splash of lemon to enhance the flavors. Very successful effort!

Leave me a comment and let me know how yours turned out! I can picture your husband's big smile already.




Comments