My Kitchen Cabinets Reminded Me

Tuesday, April 19, 2022

    



My kitchen cabinets are white. Do they look like they need cleaning in the photo? Not really, but, YES, yes they need cleaning badly! I'm ashamed to say I spot clean my cabinets. Dirt is easy to see on white. Every time I look at them, I spot clean a bit, make myself feel better about their cleanliness and move on. I hope my family or anyone else doesn't look close enough to see my cabinets need a deep smack-down with a wet cloth and a bottle of Clorox spray. A good cleaning takes time and energy that I'm not willing to dedicate to my cabinets. They look good enough to me.

How often do you clean your kitchen cabinets? I had several ladies confess to me that, like me, they don't clean their cabinets enough. They spot clean! God spoke to my heart while my kitchen cabinets reminded me, I spot cleaning my heart too. Ouch! Here are some similarities God pointed out to me:
  • My heart has spots (sin) that I have not repented. I know they are there but I hope everyone else can't see them.
  • Spots can't be seen on black, unsaved hearts. My white, redeemed heart shows spots so clearly.
  • Clean my heart? Shew! It just takes too much time and energy to get down on my knees to do some old-fashioned repenting. 
  • Oh wait, I know what I'll do. I will repent half-heartedly, feel a little better and move on aka spot clean my heart.
Do I have enough time to dedicate to cleaning my heart? For the slightest second, God allowed me to feel the pleasure of clean cabinets, to step back and look at my pleasing work. I know the feeling. The elation inside of me when I finish a project with my own hands. The freedom I feel knowing that doesn't have to be done again for at least two years! I can't wait to show someone what I accomplished. Say Amen if you know what I'm talking about. God reminded me repentance and a good confession of sin brings about that same great feeling of forgiveness and freedom AND it should last longer than two years!

I'm thankful Jesus is in the details, even kitchen cabinets. I praise Jesus for showing me my flaws and forgiving them. I'm amazed he can use things I understand, like cleaning kitchen cabinets, to speak to my soul.  I'm glad my kitchen chabinets reminded me that I allow my heart to get spots when I hold on to sin.  I try my best to justify my sin. I'm like a miserable kid screaming "It's my sin Jesus and you can't have it!"

I repent to Jesus. I ask forgiveness of my spots. I allow God to deep clean my heart. I feel so free. I love this old hymn Search Me, O God. The hymn speaks for my heart completely! Will my heart get spotted again? Probably. But, I hope it takes two years!

Lovingly,

And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 

I'm so thankful I have the power of Jesus in my life! Are you?

Comments