Pinterest Recipe Review: Cream Cheese Peach Pie Delight

Friday, July 26, 2013



Usually, recipes don't move me to make them. Cream Cheese Peach Pie Delight did! Is your household like mine? A comfortable nest with two old birds that eat like birds? My husband and I let a dessert ruin if I make a whole recipe, so I decided to half this one. There's a few things I did differently from the original recipe by Paula T. I'll list my changes as we walk through the making of this delicious dessert. Let's get started...

Here's what you need:

baking goods

For starters, I wanted my Cream Cheese Peach Pie Delight to be "a pie". The recipe uses a 9x13 pan but I'm using a 9" standard pie plate for two reasons; so the dessert will cut like a pie and it's just the right size of dish to hold a "half" recipe-size pie.

To make the crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. The recipe calls for one box of white or yellow cake mix. My genius self was going to half the cake mix, use half the butter and half an egg. Have you ever tried to half an egg? Not easy! I used a whole egg and it didn't work with half the mix so I used the entire box of cake mix with one egg and 1/3 cup butter. It should look crumbly like this.

 Prepare your pie plate with cooking spray. Pat about 1/2 to 1 cup into the bottom of the pie plate to make the crust. You will have about 1 1/2 cups crust mixture left over.

After placing your crust in the oven, dice your peaches into 1/2 inch pieces. The recipe says 1 inch but I like food bite-size!. Note: The recipe calls for a 29 oz. can of peaches. I bought two 15 oz. cans to make halving the recipe easier. I used "light syrup" peaches to count down on calories and carbs!


 Remove your crust after 10 minutes. Looks like this.


Spoon your diced peaches onto the baked crust.


Make the filling:  Mix 4 oz. room temperature cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, one tsp. vanilla flavoring and ... here's that halving the egg problem again. I got smart this time. I separated an egg and used only the white in my filling. (No yellow = less fat, less cholesterol!) Whisk together all ingredients until smooth and pour over peaches like this.


Finally, crumble 1/2 cup of the crust mixture over the pie to cover the top.


Return to the oven and bake 30 minutes on 350 degrees. Place your leftover crust mixture into an airtight plastic container to make another "half" pie next weekend. The mixture should stay fresh for 7 days.


 Look at this beauty!


The recipe said to chill 30 minutes before serving. My husband loves his food hot. He loved this hot too! I preferred mine room temperature. I fixed Steve a "to-go" piece for breakfast this morning...by his request!!! Great for breakfast, tastes a lot like coffee cake or cheese danish.

One last thing, love the earth and don't forget to recycle your paper and tin items.


Be sure to check out some of my other recipe reviews. Before you go, leave me a comment, any comment! You could let me know your enhancements to this recipe or I'd love to know if you tried it and how it turned out.

Peachy keen,
Tammy
The Happy Handicap

p.s. I have no idea why my words started centering and I have no idea why I couldn't fix them back block style. I guess some days the alphabet has a mind of it's own!

p.s.s. Eight years of blogging later I know exactly how to convert centering back to block! I corrected all of it but the above paragraph. lol



Comments

  1. Wow Tammy this look and sounds so good. Too bad my oven gave up on me. Pinning for my future baking adventure.

    Judy
    pursuitoffuncitonalhome.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is delicious Judy! Awww, Give your oven a hug from me. I'm gonna check out your baking board.

      Tammy
      The Happy Handicap

      Delete
  2. The full-sized recipe would have been much too big for me, so your smaller version was exactly what I needed – thanks for posting! It baked up great, in spite of an error I made. I accidentally grabbed the Almond Extract instead of Vanilla, & didn’t notice until it was too late. Holy cow, what a lucky mistake that was… it was delicious that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely mistake! I'll have to try that. Glad you liked the "half" recipe. I wish everything came in halves. Thanks for stopping by.

      Tammy
      The Happy Handicap

      Delete
  3. This photo and recipe is my original recipe from 2010. I'd appreciate credit for the photo and recipe on your site. Here is my blog link to the recipe/photo: http://paulajeancuisine.com/cake-mix-canned-peaches-and-everythings-peachy-keen/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to convince Huffington Post. I got the pic off their website and gave them credit for it!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tammy, hahaha! Well, the original link you had doesn't go to their site, so they must have removed it when Just A Pinch found out it was posted there. All is good, and I want people to enjoy it, but just for the record, here's the original link since 2010: http://paulajeancuisine.com/cake-mix-canned-peaches-and-everythings-peachy-keen/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, Google 'cream cheese peach pie delight source huffington post' and you'll see a lot more people than me used them as their source. And for the record, if the link you gave me above is your original from 2010 why does the post say "posted 25 days ago"? The dessert I referenced from Huffington Post has a different name than yours too. I'm sorry you're upset but I got the picture and recipe from Huffington Post and I gave them credit. I didn't see your name or your blog name mentioned in the article. Do you want me to take it down?

      Delete
  6. The reason my dessert is recently on my new blog-I changed from blogspot to wordpress recently. The 2 links showing my photo and my recipe on Just a Pinch and Allrecipes: (http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/dessert/cake/peachy-keen-bars.html?p=1) and (http://allrecipes.com/personalrecipe/63230725/peachy-keen-bars/detail.aspx). Your link to HP doesn't go to it, and they also have been contacted. Usually when this happens I contact bloggers and they give me and my blog the link to the credit for the photo and recipe, which is mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I linked your blog as the "original recipe" and gave you credit for the photo. The link used to go to Welcome Home blog which is where I found the recipe originally. I don't think she mentions you or your blog either. Hope you get all the credit you desire. Have you considered putting a copyright on your photos or at least your blog name? I know they can be cropped out but most people including myself respect them.

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much. I'll go to the Welcome Home blog as well and notify them. Thanks for changing it. I put my blog name on my photo, but long ago it was cropped off when people started renaming it for some reason. I appreciate you respecting my photo and recipe-thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete