Horror Stories from The Bible

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

BOO! It's Halloween week. Did I scare you? A lot of people are watching scary movies and seeking thrills from things that go bump in the night this week. I don't like scary movies. I've never watched a Friday the 13th movie. The music is too scary for me! I can hear those repeated, monotone notes screeching in my head as I'm writing this. I've never understood the draw to haunted houses, scary movies or Halloween in general. I took my kids trick-or-treating, we got dressed up and begged for candy! Still, there is something very sinister about the origins of All Hallow's Eve. I often wonder why people don't just read a Bible on Halloween if they want to be frightened. Now here's some scary stuff...

Luke 16. The story of Lazarus and the rich man. Lazarus was a beggar who laid at the gate of a rich man wishing to be fed with the crumbs that fell from the rich man's table. The beggar and the rich man died. Lazarus was carried to Abraham's bosom and the rich man was buried. The Bible says in verses 23-24 speaking of the rich man, In hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. The rich man begged Abraham to allow him to warn his brothers not to come to hell and Abraham said "They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them."

Matthew 7. The story of Rotten Fruit. Jesus explains we can identify his followers by their fruit or good deeds. Verse 21-23 says "Not everyone that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in they name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then I will profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

SCARY! This is only two stories. There are more just as scary! There are more just as wonderful too; to the true believer. Biblical horror stories are true. They have already happened or will happen soon. Jason's victims were unknowing, unwilling participants in the movies. If you wake up in hell like the rich man, it will be because you willingly participated in unrepented sin. Don't become part of an eternal horror story. The pay is not good, it's extremely hot and there's no popcorn or Coke


Happy Halloween ya'll,
Tammy
The Happy Handicap

Comments