Are there Christian homosexuals?

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

chicago
Would you be surprised to see me standing on the streets of Chicago holding this sign? I saw a group of people in Chicago this weekend attempting to proclaim Christ holding a sign that said "There are no Christian homosexuals".  I was shocked!

Before I begin, let me confirm my belief. I believe sin is sin and God hates it. In short, Christians should avoid sin at all costs using Jesus as their strength to do it. However, I also believe that we, as Christians, like to pick and choose what we believe to be sin and not sin. I don't agree with this sign! I don't agree with what I saw happen on the streets of Chicago in the name of Jesus either.

A man (don't know his sexual preference) confronted the man holding this sign. He hissed and booed him. Then he spit at his feet. His actions didn't surprise me. The actions of the guy proclaiming Jesus surprised me. He shouted at the man "What are you? A poster child for drug abuse!" and "Can we take up an offering to get this man a bath? You need a bath!". Not exactly the words or condemnation that I would expect to come from a Jesus follower. Matthew 7:22-23 rang in my head "Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then I will profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." 

Some may agree wholeheartedly with the words on this sign. But, what if the sign said "There are no Christian adulterers" or "There are no Christian liars"? Could we agree with these words or would they make use think twice. I'm sure every Christian has not followed God's law to the letter concerning marriage. Has there ever been a situation where you told a "white" lie or stretched the truth just a bit? Still a sin according to God. Just as ugly and deadly as homosexuality. Will our repeated sins, after we've accepted Christ, prevent us from going to heaven? I hope not! But, it's definitely something to ponder to help us keep temptation at bay. Jesus told the woman that was taken in adultery in John 8:11 "Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more."  Think we can do it?

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave me a comment!

Perplexed,

Tammy
The Happy Handicap

Comments

  1. Even tho I may not agree with anyone holding a sign like that neither do I agree with a so called christian saying something like that, as you said sin is sin. Not being a good light and judging is also sin. We ALL have sinned and come short. We win they with love. I have been reading a lot of God's laws, if we still lived under the law there would not be many if any alive today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Shirlene! You are exactly right. I am so thankful Jesus died for our sins and is glad to forgive us when we fail. As our pastor Randy used to say, "If I spend as much time as I need to keeping myself straight, I won't have any time to look at others faults!" Great way not to judge others.

      Delete
  2. I agree that a sin is a sin but I do not believe it is our place to judge or condemn for those sins! That is why God is our judge. The Bible doesn't say we get into heaven by being sin free it says we achieve that by accepting Christ as our savior and believing Him as Lord. It's not to say that is a free pass to sin, again we must come to Christ with our sins but no more would I condemn an alcoholic or a woman who had an abortion as a teenager I will not condemn someone who lives a homesexual lifestyle. I don't know walking on Earth who will be received into Heaven and who won't. All I can do is live my life the way I am convicted by the Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate your comment! I have been judged all my life by the education I'm lacking or the shoes I can't wear. So, so happy that God looks on the inside not the outside of a person and he's happy if he sees Jesus in us. No judgments here. I try to always consider I'm not walking in other people's shoes....and they certainly can't fit into mine! lol

      Delete