Corona Virus is not my First Scare of 2020

Friday, March 13, 2020


covid-19
Corona Virus (COVid-19) is not my first scare of 2020. The deadly virus seems pale in comparison to aiding my 34-week pregnant daughter during her horrifically scary placental abruption and subsequent birth (Please stay tuned for the video). Corona also seems very distant compared to the recent phone call I received from the Murray County Hospitalist explaining my husband needed a transfer to an intensive care unit capable of intubation and his subsequent six night hospital stay at Emory.

Amid the panic and public outcry over COVid-19, my heart is still rooted in the faith that brought me through the first two months of this new year, and the last
56 years.
I have a preemie granddaughter to worry about catching the virus, an immuno-suppressed husband and two elderly parents who are also high risk. I fit into the over 50 category so I probably should be worrying about myself as well.  We all have someone we love and don't want to lose to a Corona infection.
News of the virus is EVERYWHERE! It's like a black plaque over the entire world right now. If you could only see and hear the Rolodex (an old file system) of scripture clicking in my head, you'd want to yell STOP! Like I want to yell stop. Here's the deal. The click, click, click of my heart-driven file system landed on Matthew 10:28-31 which says:

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul; but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows.

I must take comfort in a God that loves me, that loves all of us! The sparrows don't toil, why do we? I marvel at humanity. Not in a good way but in a perplexed way. People will worry that a strain of virus will kill them but never give thought to the God of the Universe who controls EVERYTHING, even tiny virus droplets. We are more afraid of a germ that can kill our bodies than an Almighty God who has the power to kill our body and soul. We are deathly afraid of a virus but hell and eternal separation from God doesn't seem to have any effect at all. I suppose it's because COVid-19 is close and eternity seems so far away?

I am in no way trying to belittle the importance of self-care and proper hygiene to avoid a bad bug. My heart mourns for the victims of this explosive, terrifying, uncontrollable virus. I am trying to praise the One who secures my future. The One who knows every hair on my head. He wasn't surprised when my body shook so violently from fear I didn't know if I could call 911 to help my daughter when she was drenched in her own blood. Jesus wasn't surprised at my cries for mercy knowing my premature grandchild was hanging on for her life. He wasn't surprised  at my tears the morning I broke down realizing it is time for Steve to seriously consider a double lung transplant. Jesus isn't surprised there is a new virus in town named Corona or more technically COVid-19.

Jesus is surprised his followers, his sheep, aren't listening to his voice when he says "Peace, Be still". He calmed the waves and he can calm me and you..He maketh me to lie down in green pastures. The Lord is my shepherd. I shall not want or be afraid.  A sparrow will not fall unless it is his will. We will not depart unless it is his will. I do my best to allow Jesus to calm my fears and wipe my tears. Is it easy? No. But, I find crying out to him for help is far better than shriveling up in a ball in the corner, which is where I would be without him. I have to remind myself, Corona might be around a couple of months but Jesus will comfort me for a lifetime and beyond!

Trusting Jesus 365,

Comments