The Advice that still makes me Laugh!

Friday, May 10, 2013

funny sayingWhen I saw this photo on facebook this morning, it make me laugh! The advice my daughter's grandfather (Pop) gave them years ago still makes me chuckle.

My father-in-law was Claude Leonard Stafford. He thought he was born in 1919 but later in life found out it was 1920. He lived to be 87 years old. Pop was quite handsome with a head full of  beautiful grayish-white hair and some of the biggest ears I've ever seen. He also said "Your ears don't stop growing you know!" He was a quiet, kind
man in his later years with an unspoken knowledge that he seemed to want to keep to himself.

He suffered a stroke about ten years before his passing which left him struggling to find the words he wanted to say. We waited for the words to come as he thought, tried to speak, thought again and finally waved us off because he just couldn't make his words come out. Pop had days when his words were clear as crystal. On these days if he could not form his words, he would say "I know what I want to say I just can't get it out!" He got frustrated but never too frustrated to try.

We were visiting Pop one afternoon and he was having a pretty good day. Sydnee and Sloane were joking around with him, he was laughing with them. As was the custom when we left, the kids would hug him and he would give them some send-off advice. Turning back to wave at him one last time, he stammered these words to the girls "BE EVIL!"

Pop in his tuxedo sweatshirt we made him!


Needless to say, we all got a pretty big chuckle and he just hung his head laughing at himself. We have taken the turn on the old addage "Be Good" and had many, many good times with telling each other to "Be evil"! Inside family jokes are the best!



Being evil,
Tammy
The Happy Handicap


Leave me a comment. I'd love to hear some of your family jokes!

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Isn't it though? One of my fondest memories of him!

      Delete
  2. Cute memory! My husband's grandmother said a few similar funny phrases at the end of her life and they are frequently remembered!(with laughter!)
    Michelle
    http://normalchaosforamultitaskmom.blogspot.com/2013/05/borrowed-moments.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful we have such great memories that make us laugh! Thanks for stopping by Michelle.

      Delete