Trunk or Treat Idea: Alice in Wonderland

Thursday, October 29, 2015

We're All MAD Here!


the mad hatter
Alice, The Queen of Hearts and The Mad Hatter
My daughter and I decided to decorate a trunk this year for our church Trunk or Treat Night. I looked at a lot of great ideas on Pinterest. Then, I had one myself. I love to do over-the-top, super imaginative stuff so I came up with Alice in Wonderland. So simple and turned out beautifully. This trunk works best in an SUV type vehicle.

What you'll need for The Trunk:

  • a psychedelic brightly colored fleece blanket or towel
  • stuffed white rabbit 
  • teapot, sugar/creamer and a couple of tea cups with saucers
  • printed directional signs taped to a cardboard post (see pic below)
  • bucket with rocks to stationary cardboard post
  • cardboard and white paper for clock
  • string of 50 Christmas lights (optional)
  • large butterflies or flowers (My butterflies are about 10 years old. They were so pretty I hated to throw them away so I stapled them to our garage wall. I KNEW they'd come in handy one day!)
  • printed cheshire cat taped to cardboard for stability
Here are some examples of our trunk: 
trunk or treat idea
Before adding the sheet that doubled as a tablecloth,  the tea pot and lights.
alice in wonderland trunk or treat
The trunk lighted after dark with my precious granddaughter enjoying the ambiance!
The homemade costumes added extreme excitement and some fright to our trunk.
mad hatter and alice
alice in wonderland

So MUCH Fun!

A brief summary on making the Queen of Hearts costume. I took an old long skirt slit the front and sewed in 2/3 yards of the silk "royal" looking fabric I found at Walmart for $3. I took an old black t-shirt and sewed in the pouf sleeves using a rubber band to keep them in place. You can sew or glue the felt heart on the front. The red gloves are from Walmart Halloween section. Added some costume jewelry, a crown, makeup and red paint on my hair. I got the skirt to look full by wearing my daughters' stand out slip (kids size 10-12). I didn't think I was a hoarder until I pulled that slip out of the cedar chest! 

I hope this gives you an idea of how to create your own Alice in Wonderland Trunk or Treat. If you have questions on any of this, please feel free to email me at tammy.stafford@hotmail.com or comment below. I'll be happy to help you create your own fairy tale any way I can!

Not coming out of the Rabbit Hole,
Tammy
The Happy Handicap

Comments