Is There Really Peace on Earth?

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

I heard the bells on Christmas Day
God is not dead nor doth he sleep! 
Peace on earth. 
Goodwill to men. 
The bells are ringing. 
Does anybody hear them? 

Please listen to this song "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" by Casting Crowns. Click the link in haste just like the wise men went to find Jesus. Turn it up LOUD and really take it in.  Click replay at least a dozen times! Soak it up!

Every time I listen to the song I get cold chills just thinking about what Jesus rescued us from. Let me try to describe what I feel when I listen intently to the song, eyes closed. I'm transported to the middle of an Old English countryside with a beautiful church in the foreground. The reflection of the warm glow of candlelight flickering in the windows bounces off the winter landscape. I'm aware of a choir at my side angelically repeating "Peace on Earth", "Peace on Earth". The heavy clang of the church bells begin to ring. My head lifts toward the sky to feel delicate snowflakes trickle down from the heavens softly, gently touching my face. As the snowflakes fall, I feel the pure white cleansing power of Jesus almost as if he's standing right above me touching the air with his finger making snowflakes just for me. The music moves me to raise my hands and extend my arms up to praise Him. The One the bells are ringing for!  I'm light as air. Any moment, I may start floating into the atmosphere of cloudy white fluff. 

Oh, the wonderment! 
Is this peace on earth? 
The song ends and I return to myself but not before I've lingered in his glory wanting to stay there forever.

What does peace on earth mean to you...personally? Everybody wants peace on earth for the planet that spins around daily but what about for yourself? Jesus said in Luke 12:51-52 "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you , Nay, but rather division: For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two and two against three." What's this division Jesus talks about? He's talking about peace in your earth, your body, your tabernacle, your soul. The peace that only comes from Him. Accepting Jesus as Savior divides us from eternal damnation and brings us eternal peace.

John 14:27 Jesus says "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." 
Not troubled 
Not afraid 
Peace

So, is there really peace on earth? Yes! How do you find it? Accept that sweet little Jesus boy that was born in a manger as Lord of your life. The song "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" will take on new meaning. Can you hear the bells ringing? Peace on Earth. Like a choir singing. Peace on Earth. Like the angels singing. Peace on Earth. Goodwill to men.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow wrote the poem in 1863 that was later set to music in 1874 during a desolate time in his life.  His son was killed in war and his wife died in an accidental fire. The bells on Christmas day gave him renewed hope. In 2008, Mark Hall of Casting Crowns recorded his own arrangement of the song which is heard in the link above. God bless you this Christmas season. May you hear and embrace the message of the bells. 

Peacefully,



Comments