Hanging by a Holiday Thread

Friday, December 18, 2015


christmas ornaments
I've had a stressful few days. Too much to do with not much time to get it done. Can you relate? Lisette wanted to play yesterday. I stopped everything I should have been doing and played! I forgot my pending folder to share an hour with my precious granddaughter. We can never relive that day or hour. Day 747 of her life and Day 19046 of my life are gone, but the joy of that half hour is imprinted on our memories forever.

As I lay pretzel-shaped on a narrow step (because she wanted me to), the ornaments on my Christmas tree caught my attention. My new polka dot balls hang by a twine thread. I pondered how each ornament needed help getting hung on the tree.They need support from their thread or hanger to keep them on the tree. And, occasionally an ornament falls off the tree. If the fallen ornament isn't picked up by someone and rehung, it lies helpless under the tree until rescued and replaced.

We are so much like the ornaments on a Christmas tree. We need help and support. We can convince ourselves that we can go it alone, but God didn't think so. Genesis 2:18 says "And the Lord God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him." Some days I feel like an ornament hanging by a thread vulnerable to the smallest ripple of life. I create my own susceptibility to destruction by refusing help. Do you?

Have you ever been looking at your tree when, for no apparent reason, an ornament falls to the ground? I have. I can hear the hurt as the ornament scrapes through artificial tree needles. We are no different. Sometimes, for no known reason, we lose our support and hit bottom. Psalm 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble."

During this Christmas season, take a new look at your tree ornaments. They are beautiful yet helpless. Do you know anyone in this condition? Acts 20:35 I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive. In other words, don't leave someone hanging by a thread.

Feeling ornamental,
Tammy
The Happy Handicap

Comments