"I can never be like Mary. She is the mother of Jesus!"
Is that what your brain screamed inside your head when you read Five Traits you need to be "Highly Favored" by God? You may be more like Mary than you think. Mary was an ordinary girl with an extraordinary purpose. No, we will never be the mother of Jesus but we are definitely part of his spiritual genealogy making it possible for us to be "highly favored" by God. According to my understanding of Scripture, here are five of the traits we need:
- Be a Virgin. Luke 1:27 ".....and the virgin's name was Mary." Impossible, right? Not exactly. If you have experienced rebirth through Jesus, you are a virgin. You possess the pristine untouched, untainted, flawless spirit of Christ. You are adorned in your bridal gown awaiting your bridegroom.
- Pay Attention to God's Messenger. Luke 1:28-29 "And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women. And when she saw him..." Can you imagine if Mary had ignored the angel that particular day? Hebrews 13:2 assures us there are angels among us if only we would entertain strangers and be aware.
- Fearless. Luke 1:30 "And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary..." Now, this was a situation stirring up some fear. Mary was in an unconsummated marriage; PREGNANT! I understand why she might be afraid. She trusted, believed and delivered to the world a savior.
- Be Inquisitive. Luke 1:34 "Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?" It is okay to ask some questions, even of God. He doesn't expect us to accept status quo, rather, he instructs us to make sure we are following his commands. I John 4:1 "Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world."
- Be Obedient. Luke 1:38 "And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word..." Mary accepted her calling with grace and humbleness.
No. We are not Mary. We are not the mother of Jesus. But, I am his child. Are you? And, who doesn't favor their children?
Seeking His approval,
The Happy Handicap