5 Things to Do When God is Silent

Monday, June 1, 2015

What is happening when God is silent? I'm not exactly sure but I'd like to share five things that may help you through the quiet times.

I routinely do two things when I get into my car; put on my seat belt and my sunglasses. I can see better if light isn't blinding me. What happens on a rainy day? I put on my sunglasses and can't see. I have to take them off to allow light to reach my eyes. I think the same instances happen in our spiritual lives. We routinely block out "too much God" keeping him at a distance. As long as we can hear him, feel him and know He's present; we pray routine prayers, attend routine church services and lead routine lives. When God is silent, we can't feel him and begin to wonder where He is. We feverishly start searching for the light, His Light!

The Bible says in Pslam 28:1 "Unto thee will I cry, O Lord my rock; be not silent to me: lest, if thou be silent to me, I become like them that go down into the pit." What's in the pit? Darkness! The same kind of darkness we feel when God is silent and the darkness we see when we wear sunglasses on an overcast day.

Five Things to Do When God is Silent:

  1. Praise Him. Tell God how powerful and mighty He is. Let him know you believe he's busy orchestrating his grand plan and you're available when he's ready to talk.
  2. Repent. We haven't sinned every time God is silent. But, repentance is a fresh cleansing for the soul. Repenting feels so good! 
  3. Hold On. He's Coming. Jesus is a friend that sticks closer than a brother. He's always near you even when you can't hear him or feel him. Soon you'll feel him slip his hand into yours or hug you with those great big arms. Everything's gonna be alright!
  4. Listen Attentively. Do you ever start your day expecting to hear from God? I do! Sometimes I get troubled and don't listen as closely as I should. I couldn't write last week. This week, I've had my heart open and listening with elephant ears!
  5. Believe Him....for everything. He is able. 

Have you ever been given the "silent treatment" by your spouse or your children or maybe you've given someone the silent treatment? Has someone ever begged you to talk? God may be giving us the silent treatment so we'll beg him to speak to us. He may be silent so we will become better listeners. Whatever the cause, you know the reason God is silent in your life. Break your routine. Take those stunner shades off and let the Son shine in!

Listening more intently,
Tammy
The Happy Handicap

What do you do when God is silent in your life? Comments are welcomed.

Comments