Word of the Day - Kinkered

Sunday, August 17, 2014

"Word of the Day" is...

Does your family make-up or change words? And then use them in every day conversations? We do! Kinkered is my Dad's substitute word for "canker" or "cankered". Yeah, you know... the necrotic fungal disease that grows on the barks of trees or an ulcerous condition such as ear cankers! The word is multi-talented. Kinkered can be used as a noun or a verb.

I thought of this particular word of the day from our crazy made-up language our family uses. The other day when my Dad was eating a Cadbury egg. Yes, from Easter 2014, way back in April. He was carefully peeling the foil paper from the edges of the egg and experiencing great difficulty as the foil refused to let go of the old chocolate. I said "You know that egg is from Easter. It's only 4 or 5 months old." My mom coaxed him on "Candy don't ruin!" I continued with a worried look saying "It's got a spot on the side of it." My Dad wielded his handy dandy pocket knife to investigate the spot. He said "That thang goes all the way through!" I said laughing "Don't eat that thang. It's KINKERED!" 

He ate it. Every bite. He also licked the chocolate off his fingers. He said "I've eaten older things than this and I'm still here." It's been five days since he ate the egg and all is well. I guess kinker won't kill ye. 

Put the word to work in your vocabulary. It's fun and functional! Have you ever heard of it or used it? Leave me a comment. :)

Crazy talk 365,
Tammy



Comments