Does God Care What We Wear?

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

clothesline
photo credit: thedollclothes.com
Does God care what we wear? It's a touchy subject especially in my family. My mom was raised to strictly wear a dress to church, absolutely no pants and God forbid shorts! She's changed her thinking in recent years but still has family that frowns on wearing anything but a dress to God's house. You may disagree with their thinking, I do. To show you just how deeply rooted this tradition is, my aunt was returning from a doctor appointment in Chattanooga. She dreaded stopping at the funeral home, on her way home, wearing pants. She wished to avoid attack by her sister whom she knew was there. Honestly.

I can't wear pretty shoes. I just got fake calves in 1991 with my amazing prosthetics. I always felt ashamed and uncomfortable wearing dresses with boots during the summer or long dresses which weren't in style to cover my lack of nice shoes.  I know firsthand God wasn't worried about my shoes or dress. We talked about it a lot. But I had to please people, right?

I Timothy 2:8-10 says "I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands without wrath and doubting. In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works."  I believe the shamefacedness here means not brazen or bold; modest. I don't think it means to feel ashamed about what you have on, unless it's not modest. For example, pants are more modest than a short dress. I fear men and women may have missed the mark in this passage.

Thankfully, this is where Jesus steps in. A man came to him naked in Mark 5 and he clothed him. I can't remember a parable about Jesus teaching fashion, do you?  Adam and Eve were naked in the Garden of Eden. The important point about their nakedness was spiritual not physical. Their ashamedness was two-fold. They knew they were naked on the outside but more significantly they realized they sinned against God and were naked on the inside. No covering or forgiveness available between them and God.

God does care what we wear. Isaiah 61:10 says "I will greatly rejoice in the Lord, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for the hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels." The garments of salvation and the robe of righteousness are the only clothes required in God's church and the only pre-approved dress code for heaven

Wearing what matters most,
Tammy
The Happy Handicap

Now it's your turn. Leave me a comment and let me know what you think!

Comments