Do People Wonder?

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Bethlehem
Sloane is obsessed with celebrities. She follows her favorites on Twitter. She wonders who's dating whom.  Sydnee peruses the fashion section of magazines. She loves new clothing styles and wonders what's in or a has-been. Steve studies survival methods. He wonders if we'll be alright if disaster strikes. I google recipes. I wonder if I can find a fabulous new dish my family will love! We are curious about these things. We have a desire to know more which moves us to "go see".

Have you ever heard something and wondered about it? So curious you simply MUST check it out to see if it is true? For example, you hear how beautiful Hawaii is. Does that expressed beauty make you wonder enough to get on an airplane to go see for yourself? If not, your storyteller is a dud! I heard for years about the beauty of  Butchart Gardens in Victoria, British Columbia. My curiosity got me on a boat, a plane and an automobile to find out if the stories were true. They are, the beauty of the garden is overwhelming!

The Christmas Story in Luke 2:16-18 speaking of the shepherds says "And they came with haste, and found Mary, and Joseph, and the babe lying in a manger. And when they had seen it, they made known abroad the saying which was told them concerning this child. And all they that heard it wondered at those things which were told them by the shepherds." The Bible doesn't tell us but I believe those who wondered surely had to come and see. I imagine people making their way to the stable peeking around corners hoping for a glimpse of the baby. I can almost hear people tell others "I heard him cry!", "Well, when the stable door opened he opened his eyes and looked at me!" or even "I saw one of those angels appear near his manger bed!"

The exciting story is still the same, our Savior was born! I wonder if I am telling the story in a manner to make people wonder? Do people hear my story of Jesus and wonder about him? Do I soak up and use Sunday sermons to help someone on Monday by sharing what I heard? Do I tell people about the miraculous things God does in my life every day enough to make them wonder about who He is? Do I use God's Word in every day language to intrigue peoples' wonderment about where those words came from? Do I tell a good story? Do I cause people to wonder about Jesus?

Some people the shepherds told went to see the first time they heard it. Some people had to hear the story multiple times and see others excited before they were moved to check it out. Regardless of how many times it takes for a person to hear the story of Jesus before they come and see, the story has to be WONDROUSLY told!

Wondering 365,
 

Comments