3 Joys of an Empty Tree

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

The Joys of an Empty Tree

My family didn't do Christmas. We didn't do Christmas the traditional way. Three years ago, we whittled our gift giving down to $5 presents each. We did this along with giving to other families. This year 2013, we resolved to not buy any gifts for ourselves. We bought for three families instead. Here are the joys we received from an empty tree.

1) We were Secret Santa for 3 brothers. When the gifts were delivered, the coordinator cried because she had difficulty getting someone to "adopt" these kids. An empty tree brought tears of joy!

2) A mom messaged me about finding a bicycle for her daughter.  I felt God directed her to me and asked if we could get the bike. I found a used bike (just like new). The seller of the bike called me later to tell me how buying the bike had helped her family who was stretched for Christmas with only one income. She said "You didn't even know it but ya'll helped two families at once!" An empty tree doubled our joy!

3) We gave a grocery gift card to a single mom with 5 kids. An empty tree brought inner joy!

Your family may have been giving to others for years and we're just slow to the plate. If not, I encourage you to try it. You can start small like we did or just take the plunge! This has been the best Christmas ever living what the truth of Jesus has told us. Acts 20:35 I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.


Overjoyed,
Tammy
The Happy Handicap

Comments