Separation Anxiety: Do you have it?

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Today, we look at the last three verses of Ephesians Chapter 5 verses 31-33. It goes like this: "For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. This is a great MYSTERY: but I speak concerning Christ and the church. Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband."

When I got married, I had separation anxiety from my parents. I thought it was because I am an only child but Sydnee did the same thing. The feelings were not so much anxiety as they were a longing to be with my parents. The bond was and still is extremely strong! I've always wondered why the scriptures don't say "For this cause shall a woman leave her father and mother...". Do you have any thoughts on this? I'd love to hear them.  I think maybe it's because the husband is the head of the house and the covering for the family unit. Guys, did you know that God holds you responsible for the family unit as the head of the household? Morally and spiritually? We become bone of your bone, not the other way around!

Again, in these verses we are told how marriage is a great mystery. I will never understand how a true marriage takes place in a couple of minutes. It is still a mystery to me. Marriage is a replica of the love and acceptance of Christ for us and vice versa. The same mystery happens when Christ proposes to us and we accept his spirit in marriage for an eternity. This change happens in a split second! Marriage is also a great way to solidify eternal salvation. When you marry someone, you can't unwed them. Sure, you can get a divorce on paper or an annulment from the court system but you will never change the fact that you were married to that person, it is eternal. Christ's salvation is the same way. Once you truly accept Christ as your Savior, you can't undo that acceptance. You can live poorly by physically disobeying his word, you can forsake the church, you can try to avoid God every way possible but it will not change the fact that you are his! If you truly accepted his spiritual grace, you can't get a divorce or annulment. You can sure create some separation anxiety though...

Chris Gregory, a friend of mine and Steve's sent a comment last week which is an excellent visual of salvation. He said "Jesus knew for a fact that I didn't deserve his love, but He opened the door for me anyway! By His sacrifice, the door of eternal life was opened for me. I stood at the door for 37 years, and for 37 years, Jesus patiently held the door and waited for me to enter." Isn't that just like a husband? Steve patiently opens doors for me to lumber up to and through! My Dad (pictured) has been holding doors for my Mom (pictured) for 55 years!  Whether you accepted Christ long ago or are still standing outside the door waiting to walk over the threshold, Jesus has the door open just for you. Unlike a honeymoon, where the husband carries you across the threshold, in your union with Christ, you must step over the threshold into grace and mercy. In a physical marriage, the husband traditionally carries you one time in the beginning. In a spiritual marriage, Jesus carries you all the time even until the end.


Enjoying Holy Matrimony,
Tammy
The Happy Handicap


I welcome all comments or thoughts...

Comments