are you appealing or a peeling?

Monday, June 27, 2011

Well.....hello!  Did you take challenge #1 with me?  Meet someone new and remember their name?  I did!  Last week, I had two new experiences.  I met Krista who is the mother of my daughter's new friend Lauren.  They own Raspberry Row in downtown Dalton.  You might check it out sometime.  I also went to a retirement party for an old friend that I had not seen in a while.  There were about 50 people there I had never met and about 6 or 8 that I knew!  I met a grand total of 3 new people out of that crowd and remember their names, Andrea, Geoff and Earlene!  I think I passed the challenge, but, I woke up this morning wondering what makes people appeal to other people?  What makes someone interested in talking to me?  I can't think of one thing!

At one point during the retirement party, Laura and I, (Laura is my friend I went with) were hugging a wall just watching all the other people talk and have fun.  At this point, I started to discuss what makes people appealing and we could not answer the age old question.  We moved to a table just outside of the "social" imaginary line and ate hors d'oeuvres.  Food is always your friend and always appealing!  When dinner began, Laura and I were rescued by four sweet, younger-than-us guys we knew and luckily, we didn't have to occupy a table for two old, boring women. 

There was one lady there that worked the room.  She seemed very confident, very tall, very pretty, very tan, very low-cut tank top, nice jeans and a "presence".  I began wondering if that's what it takes to be appealing?  Then, I thought of my husband who would put her in the category of an "Amazon", meaning she is tall and big-boned and was thankful that she would not appeal to everyone.  So, at this event, I realized that, once again, it was my own mental block that caused me to shrink like a violet and take a back seat on the bus.  I woke up this morning accessing my success for last week asking myself, was i appealing or a peeling?  My picture is below:



Yep, a banana peel! What can you do with a banana peel?  Nothing!  You can at least make jelly out of apple peelings! lol  Wait a minute.  My mom uses banana peels to fertilize her rose bushes.  Now, that makes me feel better.  I'm seeing a ray of sunshine.  Yes, even a peeling, that you seemingly can't do anything with can be used.  So, this day, if I can't be appealing, not just yet, I will be happy as a peeling that is used to fertilize someone else to make them grow.  If I can see someone get stronger, grow larger, spread their roots, put on green leaves or bloom, I will be content with my progress, put one in the "win" column for Tammy.  After all, isn't that what being a friend is about? 

Comments